Jun 19, 2009

How to leak Linux pipes from Java code

Fixing a bug in legacy code I found a moderately counter-intuitive rule for dealing with Process instances returned by Runtime when one executes a process. It turns out that the three standard streams associated with each instance must be closed regarless of whether you use them anywhere in your code.

By default I expect that unless I explicitly open something there is no need to close it manually. Moreover, I double-checked javadocs and Java Programming Language and I have not found any related warning. On the other hand as it happens on the boundary between java world and OS it is probably natural to expect very strict requirements for disposing of unused resources. At least it was not me who wrote that code in the first place :)

An easy way to check if pipes are leaked is to run something like "/usr/sbin/lsof | grep pipe | grep java" and see if the number is growing. In my experience if you get a "too many open files" error it's likely to be either about leaking pipes or sockets (if you can see an unreasonable number of sockets in CLOSE_WAIT state in netstat output).

No comments: